Thursday, September 16, 2010

Australia Blog 14- More Random Oz Info

AUSTRALIA BLOG 14

More Random Australia Info

I’ve included some of the context in which we’ve encountered some of this Australian vocabulary, hope you like it!

Thongs = flip flops.  Australian in airport, "It’s cold outside, and I'm only wearing thongs."

Crook=ill/sick. Australian friends from the clinic, "Josh has been crook."

Rubbish Ben= trash can

Capsicum=bell pepper.  Me in an Australian Sub Way, "....lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers..."  Australian making my sandwich, "Huah?"

We still have not been able to find any jalapenos. I never realized how often I cook with them until we couldn’t get them.

Nutter=crazy person

Hoon driving=crazy driving

Drink driving=drunk driving. They have lots of public service announcements on tv that say, "We will catch you drink driving."

Bloody=dang. "That’s bloody right! Get your bloody puppy!"

Horse food=horse feed.  Sign in a feed store, "Horse Food"

Good on ya!=nice job.  Lets put it together!......Good on ya, mate! = Nice job, buddy!

Punch up=fight

Chooks=chickens

Legal drinking age in Australia is 18, AND kids under 18 can be served drinks in a bar if they are with their parents and having a meal.

Rather than saying five, five or zero, zero; Australians say, “double”. It’s strange!

How do you spell Shopping Mall?

American, “S-H-O-P-P-I-N-G M-A-L-L”

Australian, “S-H-O-double P-ING M-A-double L”

How about this one!...... D-O-double N-E-double L

No comments:

Post a Comment